Text-to-Speech w/Applescript

Is it possible to control the text-to-speech capabilities that are built in to the OS? Some background: I am a graphics artist in a small print shop. After setting up a document, I would like the computer to read back the entered text so that I can read along with the original to make sure they match. Spell checking is great, but after entering a few pages of text, I’d like to confirm that I didn’t skip anything (or add anything that shouldn’t be there). I would like to have basic “tape recorder” functions: play, pause, rewind, fast forward. If this type of thing is possible, it will ultimately be created in Xcode.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Brad Bumgarner, CTA

Model: G5 iMac
AppleScript: 1.9.3
Browser: Safari 312
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Try this:

say "I am speaking to you!" using "Bruce"

It is in the standard additions dictionary under user interaction.

Matt,

Thanks. I know about the “say” command. It is very limiting though. To do what I want, at the very least, I need to be able to stop the speech mid-sentence and then continue from where it left off. I am hoping there is a way to get more control over the speech capabilities.

Thanks,
Brad Bumgarner, CTA

say "test" saving to "Macintosh HD:test.aiff"

This will save an aiff file you can open with itunes and control with applescript that way. It doesn’t say it either when you save the file, so you won’t have to listen to it twice.