The equivalent of QuarkXPress' show command in Adobe InDesign?

Hi fellow AppleScripters,

Finally my employer decided to switch some of our productions from QuarkXPress to InDesign and in this process I need to create/rewrite some scripts.

I have Adobe’s reference and Shirley Hopkins’ book on my desk, but currently I cannot find the equivalent of QuarkXPress’ show command in Adobe InDesign. Can someone please help me?

In QXP, when I write…

tell application "QuarkXPress"
	tell document 1
		tell page/image/text box 3
			show
		end
	end tell
end tell

…the according item will be focussed. How can I do this in InDesign?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

I don’t believe that command has a counterpart. There is a show in InDesign, but it’s for links. If you have the view set, a selection will be visible, but that doesn’t always work (and shouldn’t be used in the final script).

Martin, whilst you won’t get quite the same results as Quark where you can show just about any item. You do have some level of control over the layout window itself.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2"
	activate
	tell active document
		repeat with i from 1 to count of spreads
			set x to object reference of spread i
			tell layout window 1
				set active spread to x
				zoom given fit spread
			end tell
			if exists page items of spread i then
				set selection to some page item of x
			end if
			delay 1
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

If you have the need for a user to see what’s taking place whilst your script runs then it may help.

Hi Marc & Mark,

Thank you very much for your answers, without them I would still be looking for a non-existing command :slight_smile:

My colleagues are used to see the magic happen (when they attach a display to the server), that’s why many of our scripts in QXP use the «show» command. But now that I know that there is no real equivalent for this command in InDesign’s dictionary, I might just open the documents «without showing window» for gaining some speed improvement on the server.

Best regards from (once again snowy Berlin) and have a pretty good weekend,

Martin