the starting of an application should start a second application

hello

while the user starts an application a pfd helpfile should open up automatically. how can this be done with apple script?

thanks a lot for your answer

simon

Hi Simon,

this opens the PDF with the application, which is specified in the Finder Information window

tell application "Finder" to open "path:to:document.pdf"

this forces Preview.app to open the PDF

tell application "Finder" to open "path:to:document.pdf" using (path to application "Preview")

first of all thanks for your answer. although i’m not totally sure whether you got my answer. it’s not only that i would like to open a pdf file, i want to open two applications at the same time: the main program and a pdf program to open a help file, so when the user launches the main program the help file is open right from the start.
i’m totally new to apple script, but i could imagine that it must be solved with a if-then-relation?

simon

Hi simon,

the quality of the answer depends often on the quality of the question. :wink:

Do you want to

¢ write an AppleScript application which opens the PDF file while launching?
¢ have a stay open script, which poll the processes and opens the PDF file, when a certain application launches?
¢ write a script, which launches the application and opens the PDF file?

(at least) three options, how should we know, what your’re going to accomplish

hello stefan

you’re right! i was not very clear with my first question. thanks for your patience! i guess it’s our second proposal that i would like to realise.
concrete situation: the user clicks on the icon of application a (a database program) - the click opens application a and at the same time starts application b (acrobat reader oder preview) which shows a pfd help file. my intention is, that the user doesn’t have to search for the help file - it’s present and visible with the launching of the database program.

i hope this description is now clear enough - so that you can help me with my problem!

thanks

simon

Hi Simon,

a stay open script which polls the processes consumes always a certain amount of CPU,
so I would prefer a litte application which launches the app and opens the PDF file like

activate application "iCal"

Save it as application and assign the icon of your database to this AppleScript application

Anyway, I stay open (saved as application with option stay open) can look like this

property status : false
property _application : "iCal"

on run
    set status to false
end run

on idle
    if checkProcess() then
        if status is false then
            set status to true
        end if
    else
        set status to false
    end if
    return 1
end idle

on checkProcess()
    tell application "System Events" to exists process _application
end checkProcess

Note: in Leopard “System Events” (or a shell script with ps) is no longer required to check whether an application is running
replace

if checkProcess() then

with

if application _application is running then

and remove the checkProcess() handler

Hi Stefan

Sorry for my late answer, my system was down the last two days. Your script is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Next time I’ll try to do it myself. Do you have any recommondations for newbie books on AppleScript?

Regards

Simon

Which kind of newbie?

For a newbie newbie look at this
You can also read the tutorials at http://macscripter.net/

A very recommendable book is Hanaan Rosenthal’s AppleScript: A Comprehensive Guide
or (I call it the AppleScript bible) Matt Neuburgs AppleScript: The Definitive Guide