transport variables

hi,
do i have any chances to transport/inject variables from a script to an (applescript) application?
the load command works only between scripts.
-maybe another impossible question- :smiley:

The load command works for getting and setting variables of a script from an application. To get or set a variable (property or global) contained by an application then use

tell app ā€œtheappā€
launch
set its thevar to ā€œhelloā€
set avar to its thevar
quit
end tell

Iā€™m not able to do what thewaytoapplescript suggests. I keep getting errors. However you can do it by calling subroutines. Hereā€™s an example. Create this applescript application and make it a stay-open application.

property theVar : missing value

on getTheVar()
	return theVar
end getTheVar

on setTheVar(someValue)
	set theVar to someValue
end setTheVar

Basically you can see I created a ā€œgetterā€ and ā€œsetterā€ subroutine for the variable. Now try this script to ā€œsetā€ and ā€œgetā€ the variable. You can see I called the stay-open applescript application ā€œTestAppā€.

tell application "TestApp"
	launch
	setTheVar("testing the var")
	set myValue to getTheVar()
	quit
end tell

return myValue

So with a stay open applescript application you can use getters and setters to handle properties, but this also shows how you can call any subroutine in a stay-open applescript application. Essentially you would create a property for any variable, then you set it as I showed, then you would have another subroutine to act on the variable which can be called from your applescript as I showed with the ā€œgetterā€.