Unavailable InDesign fonts

Since InDesign has had it’s own Fonts folder, and OS X has used Helvetica Neue as a system font, using a specific version of Helv. Neue can be problematic, to say the least.

I’m creating a script that creates a series of templates, each of which requires specific fonts “ Helvetica Neue. On my testing system, if I have the fonts installed in InDesign’s Fonts folder before running, the script is fine.

If the fonts aren’t available the script ends, returning an error. Is there anyway I can get the script to ignore the fact that the font isn’t installed and make the template anyway? I’ve tried copying the fonts to InDesign’s Fonts folder in the script “ but thanks to OS X’s system, the name of the Helvetica Neue fonts that appears within InDesign can differ from system to system “ even if they’re the same font.

Any ideas?

I don’t know Adobe policy about fonts.
Maybe you may store a copy of the Adobe’s Helvetica Neue font in your script and install it in the wanted location if needed.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 22 septembre 2011 17:40:09

I created a sort of workaround.

Basically, I packaged up the fonts from InDesign that are used by the documents, then added a bit of code to the start of the script to copy these fonts (in a folder) to the InDesign Fonts folder.

InDesign recognises the nested folder without a hitch, and the fonts are available to the script/created documents … I’ve tested on four Macs and it all seems to work ok.