Using gui to run cmdline mount script

Hi All…

Just working on something, and not sure if i am going the right way about it.

Problem: Macs with 10.4.x or less have issues mounting a samba share that have more than a few terrabytes available. It’s fixed in 10.5, but we’ve found we can get around it on 10.4.x or less using command line mount_smbfs.

So what i want to do is make it easy for the end user to double click an app, it asks for username and password, and runs the mount_smbfs command.

Using the built in applescript what i have so far is this:

set varpath to "/Users/testuser/Desktop/mountpoint"
set iusername to text returned of (display dialog "Enter username" with title "Login..." default answer "" butoons {"Continue..."} default button 1)
set ipassword to text returned of (display dialog "Enter password" with title "Password..." default answer "" butoons {"Continue..."} default button 1 with hidden answer)
do shell script "mount_smbfs //" & iusername & ":" & ipassword & "@<smbshare.address.goes.here/share> " & varpath

Which works… on 10.4.x… but on 10.3.x the textbox actually displays the password, so the hidden answer attribute doesn’t work.

How can i get this to work on all 10.x machines?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

If you leave the username and password off the mount command, it doesn’t prompt through the normal finder interface?