Using PS CS4 to add filename to jpg sequence

hey everyone. I’ve been working in applescript for about a week now, lurking around these forums (soo helpful) with a specific project I’ve been trying to complete.

Basically, I have a jpeg sequence of some high speed video (i work at a research lab that does crash testing) that is eventually going to be converted into an AVI. Each image is formatted “F-2.jpg , F-1.jpg, F0.jpg, F1.jpg” etc with the F corresponding to the frame number (frame 0 is the first frame of the crash and the subsequent negative frames are before the event.) All I need to do is add the frame number to the bottom right hand corner of each image (using photoshop CS4) and then save them into a new folder. I have been going through the tutorials and searching the forums, slowly compiling a sort of “frankenscript”

check it out

set processFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder that contains images to process"
set targetFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder to save processed images"
tell application "Finder" to set listImages to (files of entire contents of processFolder whose file type is "JPEG" or name extension is "jpg") as alias list

repeat with thisimage in listImages
	tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS4"
		activate
		set ruler units of settings to pixel units
		set display dialogs to never
		with timeout of 500 seconds
			open thisimage
			make new art layer in current document with properties {kind:text layer}

set contents of text object of thistext to "thisimage's filename"
			--insert command to use thisimage's filename (minus the .jpg extension)
			set justification of text object of thistext to right
			set justification of text object of thistext to bottom
			set size of text object to 14
			save in targetFolder
			close
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

so right now, i keep getting an error that the variable “thistext” is not defined. I understand the concept of variables and objects, but dont really know how to set a variable to the art layer.

the other thing im trying to do is figure out how to automatically use the file name of thisimage to be contained in the text object.

the last thing that i would like (but dont necessarily need to build into this script) would be a way to take the folder of the new images and convert them into an AVI with specific settings. a problem that i foresee would be that i would need the numbering system to start with the lowest negative number, go to zero, and then go up from there.

I’m not too sure what your expectations are with scripting n00bs. I’d like to think i have gotten pretty far without making a dumb “hey help me out” post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and earn me major points with my boss.

Thanks!

Model: Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
AppleScript: 2.3
Browser: Safari 533.16
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

Hi,

in most cases you can assign the result of a make new . line directly to a variable

set processFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder that contains images to process"
set targetFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose a folder to save processed images"
tell application "Finder" to set listImages to (files of entire contents of processFolder whose file type is "JPEG" or name extension is "jpg") as alias list

set {name:Nm, name extension:Ex} to (info for thisimage)
	set fileName to text 1 thru ((get offset of "." & Ex in Nm) - 1) of Nm
	tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3"
		activate
			open thisimage
			set newLayer to make new art layer in current document with properties {kind:text layer}
			tell newLayer
				set contents of text object to fileName
				set justification of text object to right
				set justification of text object to bottom
				set size of text object to 14
			end tell
			save in targetFolder
			close
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

Note: In my CS3 Photoshop there is no bottom justification

Thanks for the quick reply! You’ve effectively got me out of the muck for now.

everything youve added has worked pretty well thus far. you’re right about the “bottom” justification. I am still having trouble saving and closing, but i think i’ll figure it out soon. I’ll post the script again once I’ve played with it a bit more.

probably

save current document in (targetFolder as text) & Nm
			close current document saving no

Note: after adding a layer to a JPG document the document will be saved as PSD

here is my new and improved version. works like a charm!

activate
		set myOptions to {class:JPEG save options, embed color profile:false, format options:standard, matte:background color matte}
			open thisimage
			set newLayer to make new art layer in current document with properties {kind:text layer}
			tell newLayer
				set justification of text object to left
				set size of text object to 60
				set stroke color of text object of newLayer to {class:RGB color, red:255, green:255, blue:255}
			end tell
			save current document in (targetFolder) with options myOptions
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

Stefan is right, saving back to jpeg whilst layers exist is NOT supported you can either save to a file format that supports layers like ‘psd’ or ‘tif’ otherwise you use ‘flatten’ after setting then text layer contents. or save with the ‘copying’ parameter then close current doc.

I’m not trying to save with layers. all i want is a new folder with jpegs. the above script accomplishes this just fine. i was wondering about “flattening” it, but then found out that i didnt need to. maybe its my version of ps…

No you are right. Ignore me your line ‘set display dialogs to never’ over rides this. Sorry about that.

I added some more options for text size, color, and position. here is the updated script.

activate
		set myOptions to {class:JPEG save options, embed color profile:false, format options:standard, matte:background color matte}
			open thisimage
			tell newLayer
				--change the size of the text below
				set size of text object to 60
				--change the color below.  use rgb color codes (found here http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs150/ps/ps1/color_hexagon.gif)
				set stroke color of text object of newLayer to {class:RGB color, red:255, green:255, blue:255}
				--change the position of the text below
				set position of text object of newLayer to {0.75 as inches, 1.25 as inches}
			end tell
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

hey, I just upgraded to CS5 and keep getting this error message

"error "Adobe Photoshop CS5 got an error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

• The parameters for command “Save” are not currently valid." number 8800"

I have tried a lot of different things, but i always get an error when it comes to saving. here is a version of the script so far.

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5"
		activate
			open thisimage
			tell newLayer
				set size of text object to 72
				--change the color below.  use rgb color codes (found here http://www.cs.virginia.edu/cs150/ps/ps1/color_hexagon.gif)
				set position of text object of newLayer to {18.5 as inches, 0.75 as inches}
			end tell
			close current document saving yes
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

as mentioned in post #4, I would always specify the whole path including the filename and the appropriate extension

yeah, but i dont want to save a psd file, i want a jpeg. the settings specified in myOptions should take care of that (i think.) im just trying to figure out what has changed since cs4. ive been looking in the dictionary all day without any luck and was wondering if any other CS5 scripters know what could be the problem.

thanks

hey guys, I am still using this applescript even though i should learn cs5 and javascript…

ran into a situation where we need to put a black background behind the text in order to block out a previous text object. here’s the code i have so far, it will probably take one of you like 20 seconds to finish…

thanks in advance :smiley:

--set processFolder to "/Volumes/Tools/Individual/Corey Hopp/FD296 hs_vid/Onboard_left/process"
--set targetFolder to "/Volumes/Tools/Individual/Corey Hopp/FD296 hs_vid/Onboard_left/target"

activate
			open thisimage
			set blocklayer to make new layer in current document with properties {kind:normal}
			tell blocklayer
				set justification of blocklayer to left
				set bounds to {0.75 as inches, 4 as inches}
				set opacity to {100.0}
				--set position of 
			end tell
			tell newLayer
				set size of text object to 72
				--1280x1024 bottom right is 13.52,13.8 (verybottom14.2); 1280x960 bottom right is 13.75,13.25; 1504x1128 top right is 15.75, .75; 1504x1128 bottom right is 16.35, 15.6; 512x512 bottom left is 7.1 w/36font; 512x512 top right is 5, .4 w/36 font
				set position of text object of newLayer to {16.35 as inches, 0.75 as inches}
			end tell
		end timeout
	end tell
end repeat

Model: Mac Mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
AppleScript: 2.1.2
Browser: Safari 533.21.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)