variable as value of range...

Hi,

I’m trying to create an array but I need to use variables as I use dialog to enter limits of this array.
… but I can’t get this to work :

repeat
	display dialog "enter column B" default answer ""
	set colB to text returned of result
	if colB ≠ "" then exit repeat
end repeat

repeat
	display dialog "enter column C" default answer ""
	set colC to text returned of result
	if colC ≠ "" then exit repeat
end repeat

set colBC to "(B & colB & : & C & colC)" -- to get say "B300:C306"

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
	tell active sheet
		set MyArray to get value of (get range value of colBC)
	end tell
end tell

Is it a syntax or a concept problem ?

Thanks for your help

Phil

You’re close but you have the variables colB and colC inside the quotes, which makes them just text instead of a variable. So change that line to this…

set colBC to "B" & colB & ":C" & colC

Hi Regulus6633,

Thanks for your response. You’re right ; it works now…
But now that all my program (my first one) works fine, I’m getting into a new small problem : when it runs, it makes dozens and dozens of loops. I think that the fact I concatenate small parts of scripts (thanks to this forum) is not the right way to structure a program, but for the moment, I’m just learning.
I suspect the “repeat with N from 1 to doccount” loop to be redundant but if I delete it, nothing works.
I’m not quite familiar with loops, so I can’t find where the problem is (but it works anyway :°)
Could someone have a small look at this, please ?

set targettexteditor to "BBEdit"
set doclst to {}
set sp to " "

repeat
	display dialog "enter B" default answer ""
	set colB to text returned of result as Unicode text
	if colB ≠ "" then exit repeat
end repeat

repeat
	display dialog "enter C" default answer ""
	set colC to text returned of result as Unicode text
	if colC ≠ "" then exit repeat
end repeat
set colAA to "A" & colB & ":A" & colC as Unicode text -- sets the limit in the first column
set colBC to "B" & colB & ":C" & colC as Unicode text -- set the limits of array 

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
	tell active sheet
		set FileArray to get value of (get range colAA) -- gets names of files in the first column
		set DataArray to get value of (get range colBC) -- gets values to replace placeholders in text file
	end tell
end tell

tell application targettexteditor
	activate
	set doclst to name of every document
	set doccount to count of doclst

--////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

repeat with F from 1 to count of FileArray -- loop the filenames list
		repeat with D from 1 to doccount -- loop for opened documents
			if (item D of doclst) contains (item F of FileArray) then -- if filename matches document name...

--//// replacement loop/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

repeat with N from 1 to doccount -- seems to be useless but can't work without this one ?!!
					set targdoc to document F
					select targdoc -- select the found file
					set search_strings to {"varTitle", "varComment"} -- defines variables as list
					set replace_strings to {}
					set flattenedDataArray to item D of DataArray -- removes the outer list

repeat with N from 1 to 2 -- if 2 placeholders
						set end of search_strings to {"varTitle", "varComment"} -- search "varTitle", "varComment" in text file
						set end of replace_strings to (item N of flattenedDataArray) -- set replacement values to "value of B1","value of C1"...
					end repeat
					set x to 1
					repeat with x from 1 to 2 -- for 2 replacements
						tell application "BBEdit"'s document F
							replace (search_strings's item x as Unicode text) using (replace_strings's item x as Unicode text) searching in it ¬
								options {returning results:0} saving no
						end tell
					end repeat
				end repeat

--//// end replacement loop////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

end if
		end repeat
	end repeat

--////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

end tell

Thanks for your help

Phil