VLC script won't compile under 10.9.1

I just moved from a Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.7.5 to a new Mac Pro running 10.9.1. the following code with ran correctly on the old system no longer compiles. The version of the AppleScript Editor has changed from 2.4.3 to 2.6. I have the latest version of VLC - 2.1.2. Any suggestions?

tell application "VLC"
	set video_duration to duration of current item
end tell

VLC version 2.1.2 under 10.9.1

Not only it compiles flawlessly but it run the same:

tell application “VLC”
get duration of current item
→ 692
end tell
Résultat :

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 2 février 2014 17:35:27

What is the error you get.

Also open up the VLC script library and then try and compile .

I had similar problem with Skype


What is : “VLC script library” ?
I never saw such item.

Are you speaking of the VLC’s AppleScript Dictionary ?

To test, I just opened a mp4 file in VLC and ran the script embedded in the original post.

For Skype I can’t help, I don’t have it on my machine.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 2 février 2014 19:21:51

Thank you everyone. It seems my problem was transient. It’s gone now. If I learn more, I’ll post it here.

Model: Mac Pro 6,1
AppleScript: 2.6
Browser: Safari 537.73.11
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

Well, my problem is not transient. I have two user accounts on this Mac. One of them exhibits the problem and the other does not. I’ve tried trashing the AppleScript preferences file in the problem account, but that didn’t solve it. I’ve also noticed that AppleScript is rather slow. I’m on a new Mac Pro that I’ve had for less than a week and I’m just discovering issues. This may be due to a faulty installation.

On the machine with a bad behaviour, try to run the script in an alternate user account.
Doing that you will know if the problem is linked to the user account or if it is caused by one or several of the global components.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 3 février 2014 15:01:32

The problem has disappeared. I don’t think I did anything to cause this. For a while the problem appeared on just one user account of my new Mac Pro. I don’t think I’ll ever learn the cause now.