What all can Applescript be used for?

I’ve heard a lot of things about applescript, but nobody has really told me what can be done with it. What are it’s limits? What can you and can’t you do with applescript?
Thanks

: I’ve heard a lot of things about applescript, but nobody
: has really told me what can be done with it. What are
: it’s limits? What can you and can’t you do with
: applescript?
: ThanksThis almost scary. url=ftp://io.com//pub/usr/gregg0/Demo/Smile.hqx[/url]
Rather than trying to commend the advantages of Applescript (and the very reason for this site >:) I would turn you to ScriptBuilders. Simply put, this is a gathering of all kinds of scripts that have the power to do all kinds of things, already compiled and ready to use. For a more comprehensive view then I would invite you to preview MacScripter’s Magazine. Applescript takes advantage of plain English words for it’s syntax, which makes it one of the easiest languages to learn, but a lifetime to master. One of the limitations of Applescript is that the byte code it generates is ‘interpreted’. However I have seen some applications done that will simply amaze you and are very fast.
~enjoy

Applescript is an interapplication communications language. It’s used for transfering data between applications (broadly defined), then leaving the presentation or transformation of the data to the application (although Applescript can manipulate data, especially with addtions called OSAXen). It isn’t good at simulating user input; e.g., working with dialog boxes. Its usefulness is dependent on the “scriptability” of the application; and on which applications you own. Because it is a programming language, once you write a script, it can perform the same task over and over. The limits of the complexity are limits of your patience and ability. So (examples, not intended to be limiting):
download data from the internet, graphics or text, then insert this data into email, a database, a spreadsheet, or a word processor; or display a graphics file on the desktop (there is an applescript that will download webcam images and then display these as desktop pictures).
transfer data from a database to an HTML page (if on demand, this is called a CGI) to a word processor, or to email.
sort, store, backup, transfer, or open files on your own Mac or another on your network.

If you’ll review the questions asked here, you’ll see a good sample of what people are trying to do with applescript.
mg