Why does my AS create a list with items within items and just items?

I’m trying to convert H:M:S times into fractions of the day. e.g. 6AM = .25 in a list.
I have to test for AM or PM and add 0.5 if the time is between 1 PM and 12 midnight.
The code is calculating the time correctly but prior to 1 PM it is putting the value into an item within an item in the list I am creating. After 1 PM it is putting the value into an item in the list. The code is simple but I can’t get the data in the list to be consistent. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Results:

NewTime (the list)
Item 1 list of 1 item (value is 0.53479)
Item 2 list of 1 item

Item 5 0.54398
Item 6 0.54685

Item 9 0.5577

The data I’m using in an Excel spreadsheet

4/6/10 12:50:06 PM
4/6/10 12:54:30 PM
4/6/10 12:58:29 PM
4/6/10 12:59:21 PM
4/6/10 1:03:20 PM
4/6/10 1:07:28 PM
4/6/10 1:11:27 PM
4/6/10 1:17:21 PM
4/6/10 1:23:07 PM

beep 2
tell application "Finder"
	set ScanFile to (choose file with prompt "Select Scanner  .txt file to convert for analysis:" without invisibles)
end tell

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
	activate
	open text file filename (ScanFile as text) origin MSWindows ¬
		start row 2 ¬
		data type delimited ¬
		with space and tab

tell used range of active sheet to set {maxRows, maxColumns} to {count rows, count columns}
	set SC_rows to maxRows
	set SC_cols to maxColumns

set ScanTimes to the value of range ("B1:B" & (SC_rows))
	set AMPM to the value of range ("c1:c" & (SC_rows))

set NewTime to {}

repeat with p from 1 to SC_rows
		set AP to ((item p of AMPM) as string)
		set TIM to (item p of ScanTimes)
		if AP = "AM" then
			set end of NewTime to TIM
		else
			if TIM ≥ 0.5 then
			else
				set end of NewTime to TIM + 0.5

end if
		end if
	end repeat	
end tell
/applescript]

Thanks
Dick

Partly because I don’t use or understand excel I don’t understand your script but I can solve “I’m trying to convert H:M:S times into fractions of the day. e.g. 6AM = .25 in a list.” without glitches concerning 1 am.

set the theDate to characters of "4/6/10    12:50:06    PM"
set the theTime to items -14 thru -7 of theDate -- adjust these to match date string if they are not what you have posted
set varperiod to "p"
if items 1 thru 2 of theTime is {"1", "2"} then
	set item 1 of theTime to "0"
	set item 2 of theTime to "0"
	set varperiod to "a"
end if
log theTime
if item -2 of theDate is varperiod then
	set valreplace to characters of (((items 1 thru 2 of theTime as string as integer) + 12) as string)
	set item 1 of theTime to item 1 of valreplace
	set item 2 of theTime to item 2 of valreplace
end if
set theSeconds to time of date (theTime as string)
return theSeconds / 86400

Unfortunately, that particular script returns 0.034791666667, which is clearly wrong for a time after midday.

set dateString to "4/6/10    12:50:06    PM"

tell dateString to return (((word 4) mod 12 + 12 * ((word -1 is "PM") as integer)) * hours + (word 5) * minutes + (word 6)) / days
--> 0.534791666667

I noticed he was using 12 as an hour on a 12 hour clock, where I come from it would be 0, I assumed 12 PM = 0 AM because 1 hour after 11 PM is 0 AM. Considering that it should work.

:wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock

I like how you used multiplication of booleans to make it so small.

Corrected (can’t remember my last debug where I deleted code :smiley: ):

set the theDate to "4/6/10 12:50:06 PM"
set the theTime to items -14 thru -7 of theDate -- adjust these to match date string if they are not what you have posted
if items 1 thru 2 of theTime is {"1", "2"} then
   set item 1 of theTime to "0"
   set item 2 of theTime to "0"
end if
log theTime
if item -2 of theDate is "p" then
   set valreplace to characters of (((items 1 thru 2 of theTime as string as integer) + 12) as string)
   set item 1 of theTime to item 1 of valreplace
   set item 2 of theTime to item 2 of valreplace
end if
set theSeconds to time of date (theTime as string)
return theSeconds / 86400

Thanks Nigel. A very elegant solution but I need some more help.

The problem I have now is getting the data in the form you are using in the script. The raw data is in a .txt file which I am trying to open in Excel. The form of the text file is as follows:

DateTime,Scanned
#4/6/2010 8:04:13 AM#,‘BS’
#4/6/2010 8:06:12 AM#,‘S00433’
#4/6/2010 8:12:47 AM#,‘S00406’
#4/6/2010 8:20:57 AM#,‘S00497’

For the life of me I haven’t been able to set up the parameters for opening a text file in Excel to end up with the dates and times; 4/6/2010 8:20:57 AM in one column and the other data; S00497 in another column.

I’ve tried using text qualifier single quote as part of the script but it I can’t get it to compile

open text file filename (ScanFile as text) origin MSWindows ¬
start row 2¬
data type delimited ¬
with text qualifier single quote

Dick

Hi, Dick. I’ve just seen your latest post while logging on to post this, which concerns your original problem:

The script in your original post only makes sense if the data extracted from column B of the spreadsheet are already fractions of a 12-hour day, so that’s not the point of the exercise here. The goal is to create 24-hour-day fractions from 12-hour-day ones.

Like Richard, I’m not familiar with scripting Excel; but from the symptoms and from a vague recollection of a post I read the other day, it’s possible that the column data are being returned as a list of single-item lists anyway. It’s the addition of the .5 to the later times which makes them come out right:

-- This is possible because AppleScript automatically coerces the single-item list to the item itself before doing the arithmetic.
{0.043981481481} + 0.5 --> 0.543981481481

You probably just need to coerce TIM to a number when you get it, as you do AP to a string in the line above.

repeat with p from 1 to SC_rows
	set AP to ((item p of AMPM) as string)
	set TIM to (item p of ScanTimes) as number -- NB.
	if AP = "AM" then
	else
		if TIM ≥ 0.5 then
		else
			set end of NewTime to TIM + 0.5

end if
	end if
end repeat

Your new approach might look something like this:

set NewTime to {}

set theRows to paragraphs of (read myTextFile as string)
set astid to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "#"

repeat with thisRow in theRows
	tell text item 2 of thisRow to set end of NewTime to (((word 4) mod 12 + 12 * ((word -1 is "PM") as integer)) * hours + (word 5) * minutes + (word 6)) / days
end repeat

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid

NewTime