Why is my script not adding all dropped items to the list?

I have used these “on open” scripts for years to streamline file management tasks. For some reason lately I am getting this problem where the “on open” is not adding all items to the list it creates.

Here you can see I am clearly dropping 8 AIs but it only counts 4.

On top of this, these 8 AIs are 2 sets of 4. The 2nd set has a “copy” appended to the name (and modified slightly). If I drop the 2 sets separately, they work just like normal.

Am I doing something wrong?

A sample of your script would be nice.

I am sure full of other errors but it has worked for years until this issue. I am not a professional coder, I just hack together what works until it doesn’t, then I get stuck.

global save_folder
global yes_count
global mult
global trimpixels

on open these_items
	display dialog (count these_items) -- this is the count making me believe "on open" is not working correctly
	set mult to choose from list {1, 2, 3, 4, 5} with prompt "Size multiplier:" default items 1
	set trimpixels to (button returned of (display dialog "Trim image?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 2))

tell application "Finder"
		-- save folder location
		set this_folder to (container of (item 1 of these_items)) as string
		set parent_folder to (container of (alias this_folder)) as string
		set parent_folder to parent_folder as alias

try
			tell me to set save_folder to (choose folder with prompt "Choose the PSD folder." default location parent_folder) as string
			set parent_folder to save_folder as alias
			set parent_folder to (container of alias save_folder) as string
			set parent_folder to parent_folder as alias
		on error err
			display dialog err
			return -- end program
		end try
	end tell

-- set some variables
	set yes_count to 0
	set file_count to count of these_items

-- main process loop
	repeat with this_item in these_items
		tell application "Finder" to set this_ext to name extension of this_item as string
		if this_ext is "pdf" then
			set count_pages to (do shell script "mdls -name kMDItemNumberOfPages " & quoted form of POSIX path of this_item & " | /usr/bin/grep -o '[0-9]\\+$'") as integer
		else
			set count_pages to 1
		end if
		repeat with i from 1 to count_pages
			my process_item(this_item as string, i)
		end repeat
	end repeat

-- display success
	tell me to activate
	set wrong to ""
	if yes_count is less than file_count then set wrong to "Something went wrong." & return & return
	tell me to display dialog wrong & "Dropped " & file_count & " files, and processed " & yes_count & "." giving up after 10
end open

on process_item(theFile, theCount)

tell application "Adobe Photoshop 2022"
		try
			open file theFile with options {class:PDF open options, page:theCount, bits per channel:eight, mode:RGB, crop page:media box, resolution:(mult * 300)} showing dialogs never
		on error
			display dialog "File not a PDF." giving up after 3
			return
		end try

set docRef to current document
		set docname to (name of docRef)

resize image docRef resolution 300 resample method none
		if trimpixels is "Yes" then trim docRef basing trim on transparent pixels

set psdOptions to ¬
			{class:Photoshop save options, embed color profile:true, save alpha channels:false, save annotations:false, save layers:true}
		save docRef in file (save_folder & docname) as Photoshop format with options psdOptions appending lowercase extension with copying

-- close/end!
		close docRef saving no
		set yes_count to (yes_count + 1)
	end tell
end process_item

Works for me.

Would be interested to know more about the files you are dragging or opening.
And are they on an HFS+ or APFS volume?
Full names of file would also be helpful.
Picture crops off filenames

The drive is an APFS OWC SSD.

The “copy” files are saved by me, but the originals are saved out elsewhere. I just tried opening and resaving the originals with no other changes, and they work. This is a big pain, and I don’t understand why it matters. At least it’s not bad code, but I don’t understand why the script would not recognize files saved out elsewhere.

This usually due to checking for quarantine information. If the files have been downloaded and not moved since, for example, you will see this.

Is there a way to call the names with another process, perhaps, one that doesn’t care about “quarantine”? Like using shell?

No. There are workarounds – they’ve been posted here a few times, so have a search.

But search for what? I don’t know what this problem is called.

OK, I figured out how to remove the “com.apple.quarantine” inside of Applescript.

on open these_items
tell application "Finder"
	-- save folder location
	set this_folder to (container of (item 1 of these_items)) as string
	set posix_folder to quoted form of POSIX path of this_folder
end tell

do shell script "xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine " & posix_folder

This successfully removes the quarantine from the entire folder containing the files, but I am not able to access the list of dropped files in full. The originally quarantined files are still excluded.

I found this post with code that looks really cryptic. I don’t understand any of this code. Could someone that understands it explain so I can implement? Can it be simplified (this post is 5 years old):