Writing scripts strategy ...

Hi,

I wrote many Apple scripts on a G5 running 10.4.11 (Tiger). Now that I bought an Intel iMac, I suspect, but I am not sure yet, that any script that I will edit on my Intel machine will no longer work on my G5 machine.

If I have a script the I continue to develop for both computers, does this mean that I should continue to edit and test it on my G5, and when I am satisfied, to migrate it to my Intel computer, since the other way around is impossible ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hi,

as long as you don’t create Carbon script applications, the processor architecture doesn’t matter.
A simple compiled script and a (Cocoa) application bundle works on both PPC and Intel machines.

But consider the different AppleScript versions. There are a lot of major changes from Tiger to Leopard especially the unique text class and also some changes in Snow Leopard. Read the AppleScript Release notes for details

Hi StefanK,

What is a Carbon script application ?

The ScriptEditor (SE) v2.3 that comes with Snow Leopard (10.6.2) cannot be moved/copied on my G5 running Tiger (10.4.11). Any script that I create/edit with SE v2.3 on my Intel machine does not work properly on my G5. That is what I experience … I even tried to save an edited v2.3 script in text format and try to reopen it on my G5 with the v2.1.1 without success. Am I right about this ?

So if I want to create a script without having to write it twice (once for Tiger and another for Snow Leopard), am I right if I say that I should write it first with SE v2.1.1 on my G5 and, when completed, copy the final version of the script to my Intel machine and do the last testing/editing with SE v2.3 ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert