zap gremlins

I made a script to add line breaks
at the end of paragraphs in files inside a folder, for posting on a website. After batch proccessing about 12 folders, I now have a bunch of files with the line break I wanted, but all the files also contain invisible control characters that show up in my browser. Here’s the script I used:

set theFolder to choose folder
tell application "Finder"
	try
		set fileList to every file of folder theFolder as alias list
	on error number -1700
		set fileList to first file of folder theFolder as alias as list
	end try
end tell
	repeat with theFile in fileList
		set theContents to read theFile

set theParagraphs to every paragraph of theContents as list
		set newContents to ""
		repeat with thisParagraph in theParagraphs
			if "<br>" is not in thisParagraph then
				set thisParagraph to thisParagraph & "<br>" as string
			end if
			set newContents to newContents & thisParagraph & return as string

end repeat

set f to (open for access (theFile) with write permission)
		set eof of f to 0
		write newContents to f as Unicode text

close access f
	end repeat
end tell
beep 2

How did the control characters get there? Is there a problem with the syntax of the script?
…And more importantly:
Is there a way to use applescript to zap gremlins in many files at a time? I know I can use BBEdit, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to zap gremlins in many files at once.
Thanks in advance for any help/info.
-G

Browser: Firefox 3.0.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hi, gasp.

You’re reading text from the file as though it’s a string (the default for ‘read’) but writing it back as Unicode text. Might that have something to do with it?

If the file contents were Unicode text to begin with, you should have used this to read them:

set theContents to (read theFile as Unicode text)

Thanks for the reply. I guess that was a pretty stupid mistake on my part. Do you know of a good way to fix the problem in over 300 files without going through them one at a time? I’m afraid I really screwed up this time.

It looks like I found a fix for my problem using TextWrangler.
Here’s the script I made to batch-zap those pesky gremlins in case someone else runs into the same problem:

set theFolder to choose folder
	try
		set fileList to every file of folder theFolder as alias list
	on error number -1700
		set fileList to first file of folder theFolder as alias as list
	end try

end tell

set theName to name of (info for theFile)
	tell application "TextWrangler"
		activate
		open theFile with LF translation
		zap gremlins text 1 of text document theName zap action delete_gremlin with non ASCII characters and controls
		close text window 1 with saving
	end tell
end repeat

Hi, gasp.

Thanks for posting your solution. I had an opportunity to set up some test files and try it out last night. It appears to work well.

One formality: the dictionary for TextWrangler 2.1.2 says that value of the ‘saving’ parameter for the ‘close’ command is ‘yes/no/ask’, not a boolean, so ‘close text window 1 with saving’ should be ‘close text window 1 saving yes’.

The dictionary doesn’t say so, but TextWrangler’s ‘open’ command returns a reference to the opened document. Using this would save having to get the name from the file, which would speed things up a little:

-- Get the alias list here, then:

tell application "TextWrangler"
    		activate
    		open theFile with LF translation
    		zap gremlins text 1 of result zap action delete_gremlin with non ASCII characters and controls
		close text window 1 saving yes
	end tell
end repeat

But hopefully, this is all academic to you now. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I just upgraded TextWrangler after creating and using the script that I posted.
I’ll make the changes, thanks to your post. I’m glad I remained subscribed to this topic.
These boards are extremely helpful.
-G