Zip Folder Finder syntax

Hi All,

Found great example on zipping folders, thanks StefanK. But when I use in my script I get an sytax error, maybe how I am passing the paths? Here is the code snippet from StefanK;

property deleteOriginal : false

on open theseFolders
	repeat with oneFolder in theseFolders
		if (folder of (info for oneFolder)) then
			tell (POSIX path of oneFolder) to set {theSource, theDestination} to {it, it's text 1 thru -2 & ".zip"}
			do shell script ("/usr/bin/ditto -c -k " & quoted form of theSource & " " & quoted form of theDestination)
			if deleteOriginal then do shell script "/bin/rm -r " & quoted form of theSource
		end if
	end repeat
end open

And here is the part of my code:

tell application "Finder"
	if (folder of (info for BatchFolder as alias)) then
		tell (POSIX path of BatchFolder) to set {theSource, theDestination} to {it, it's text 1 thru -2 & ".zip"}
		do shell script ("/usr/bin/ditto -c -k " & quoted form of theSource & " " & quoted form of theDestination)
	end if
end tell

Where BatchFolder is ““Macintosh HD:Users:robfleming:Desktop:DDA_AutoProcess:20100514:2010051407” as alias” or as string or neither.

The rest of the script works fine, just throws and error when trying to locate the file? Any help or pointers would be great, thanks.

Model: UB MBP 17inch
AppleScript: 2.1.2
Browser: Safari 531.22.7
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

try this - If i have understood the query properly

set BatchFolder to choose folder
set theDestination to container of BatchFolder
	tell (POSIX path of BatchFolder) to set {theSource, theDestination} to {it, it's text 1 thru -2 & ".zip"}
end tell

Val

Thanks for your help delpucci, path to folder updates every time the process runs automatically so there is no user interaction, here is how I used your suggestion:

set BatchFolder to "Macintosh HD:Users:robfleming:Desktop:DDA_AutoProcess:20100514:2010051407" as alias
	set theDestination to container of BatchFolder
	if (folder of (info for BatchFolder as alias)) then
	end if
end tell

and here is the error message that is generated;

Result:
error "Can't get folder of {name:\"2010051407\", creation date:date \"Friday, 14 May 2010 4:25:43 PM\", modification date:date \"Friday, 14 May 2010 5:17:23 PM\", size:227251, folder:true, alias:false, package folder:false, visible:true, extension hidden:false, name extension:missing value, displayed name:\"2010051407\", default application:alias \"Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:Finder.app:\", kind:\"Folder\", folder window:{0, 0, 0, 0}, file type:\"

I found this at macscripter.net but forgot to copy the url.

on run
	display dialog "Choose a file or folders?" buttons {"Cancel", "Folders", "File"} default button 3 with icon note

if button returned of result is "File" then
		choose file with prompt "Create ZIP file of this file:" without invisibles
		get {result}
	else
		choose folder with prompt "Create ZIP files of these folders:" with multiple selections allowed
	end if

open result
end run

on open droppedItems
	set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters

repeat with sourceFile in droppedItems
		set {sourceName, sourceExtension, sourceIsFolder} to {name, name extension, folder} of (info for sourceFile without size)

set sourceFile to sourceFile as Unicode text
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {":"}

if sourceIsFolder then
			set sourceParent to POSIX path of (text 1 thru text item -3 of sourceFile)
			set recursive to "r"

get sourceName
		else
			set sourceParent to POSIX path of (text 1 thru text item -2 of sourceFile)
			set recursive to ""
		end if

-- Remove extension from sourceName
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"."}
		try
			get text 1 thru text item -2 of sourceName
		on error
			get sourceName
		end try

do shell script "/usr/bin/python -c \"import sys; print unicode(sys.argv[1], 'utf8').lower().replace(' ','-').encode('utf8')\" " & quoted form of result

if sourceExtension is in {"applescript", "scpt", "scptd", "app"} then
			get result & "_"
		else if sourceExtension is "dmg" then
			get result & ".dmg.zip"
		else
			get result & ".zip"
		end if

-- Get path to zip file
		choose file name with prompt "Save zip file as:" default name (result)
		get result as Unicode text

if (text -4 through -1 of result) is not ".zip" then
			set zipFile to POSIX path of result & ".zip"
		else
			set zipFile to POSIX path of result
		end if

try
			do shell script "cd " & quoted form of sourceParent & "; /usr/bin/zip -qo9" & recursive & space & quoted form of zipFile & space & quoted form of sourceName
		on error errMsg number errNum
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
			display alert "Error while creating ZIP file. (" & errNum & ")" message errMsg buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
			error number -128
		end try
	end repeat

--    beep 2
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
end open

Tom

Browser: Safari 531.22.7
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

That is really handy, Tom.

Rob,

I don’t have the if statement