Add Shortcut Icon to Finder Toolbar

The following procedure can be followed to add a shortcut icon to a Finder toolbar:

1. Open the Shortcuts app and select a shortcut.
  2. Add the shortcut to the Dock by way of the File or context menu. This will create a shortcut app in the user’s home Applications folder and will add the shortcut to Launchpad.
  3. Optionally, change the icon of the shortcut app and move it to another folder to remove it from Launchpad.
  4. Command drag the shortcut app to the Finder toolbar.
  5. Remove the shortcut from the Dock if desired.

The most likely use of a Finder shortcut icon is to perform actions on selected files. The following shortcut–which merges selected files in a PDF–can be used for testing:

PDF Merge.shortcut (23.5 KB)

I learned of the procedure to add a shortcut icon to a Finder toolbar from the macmostvideo YouTube channel.

1 Like

The following shortcut selects all files and packages in a Finder window that have the same extension as a currently-selected file or package. I wanted this to also work with a currently-selected folder, but, for various reasons, that was not possible.

BTW, every time you run this shortcut in a particular folder, a privacy dialog appears. Permission to access this folder is remembered, but this is still a major annoyance. I researched this issue but couldn’t find a solution.

Select Extension.shortcut (22.9 KB)