Auto Generate thumbnail image from quicktime video

I have been trying to piece together different posts I have found regarding Quicktime export scripts. I haven’t had any luck. I need to write a script that looks on our network into hundreds of folders. It needs to look for a file containing a specific ending to its name like… …1280x720_PhotoJPEG.mov

I’d then like to have it open the files one by one, playing into the file 2.5 seconds (this is optional, could be the first frame), and exporting a frame to a .bmp or .pict file, saving that image file into the same directory as the source video, and closing and moving onto the next file.

Is this possible? I’ve spent the better part of the day trying to get this to work. I may have been better off manually opening the files and creating the thumbnail!

Thanks so much for any help.

Model: MacBook Pro
AppleScript: 2.0.1
Browser: Safari 525.27.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

Did you look at quicktime’s dictionary to find what you can do with it? That’s usually the best way to find the commands you need.

Try this for the quicktime part, then you just need to figure out the Finder part of looking through folder…

set picPath to (path to desktop as text) & "a.pic"
set theSecs to 2.5

tell application "QuickTime Player"
	tell document 1
		set current time to theSecs * time scale
		export as picture to picPath
	end tell
end tell

Thanks so much. I tried to progress with the script but simultaneously came across a free app that had everything I need plus some really cool bells and whistles!

This is a godsend!

Coco Thumb X
http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocothumbx/

Thanks again for your help.