QuickTime Movie Attributes

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to extract information about a quicktime file without actually having the movie open. I tried using meta data using shell “mdsl” but there isn’t enough information in there for what I need. Example:

I can get the data when the file is open using the follwing but this takes time to open the file and check. I am currently checking about 8000 files and am hoping to find a quicker way

tell application "QuickTime Player"
	tell first movie
		set e_Nabled to enabled of track "Video Track"
	end tell
end tell

Any help would be appreciated ver much,
Thanks
Dallas

Check out the Movie File Suite in System Events.

choose file without invisibles -- example
set thisMovie to POSIX path of result

tell application "System Events"
	tell movie file thisMovie
		properties of tracks
	end tell
end tell

Thanks Bruce,

I am playing with it right now.

Just to get a headstart on how data is accessed would you be able to supply a bit of code on how to do what I orginally posted using the Movie File suite. If not Thanks for you help anyway.

Dallas

Some of the properties raise an error (and some don’t return a value without raising an error).

choose file without invisibles -- example
set thisMovie to POSIX path of result

tell application "System Events"
	tell movie file thisMovie
		-- Tracks in my files aren't named, so I used dimensions to determine the video track from the sound track (the only two tracks in my files).
		first track whose dimensions is not {0.0, 0.0}
		set e_Nabled to enabled of result -- error
	end tell
end tell

Thanks Bruce this is awesome
Dallas

I am finding that most of the properties are missing or aren’t correct when I use system events. Does anyone know why this is?

Ex. This is the properties of track 1. There are alot of missing values, is this just a limitation of “System Events”? I can get all these properties with applescript when the file is open by using the way orginally posted.

{modification time:date “Monday, October 22, 2007 2:07:28 PM”, audio sample size:0, data format:missing value, kind:missing value, audio sample rate:0.0, video depth:0, data rate:0, name:missing value, type class:missing value, class:track, dimensions:{320.0, 240.0}, start time:0, enabled:true, high quality:false, audio characteristic:false, visual characteristic:false, data size:2678590, href:missing value, creation time:date “Monday, October 22, 2007 2:07:28 PM”, audio channel count:0, duration:90000}