QuickTime & second display

can someone shed some light on QT in regard to working with a second (or third, etc) display? According to QT scripting dictionary this would be the way to do it:

present movie x display y

I dont have a second display so I cant verify it. However, I sent a similar script, involving some variables, to someone with a second display in order to try it out. I believe it was something like this:

tell application “QuickTime Player”
set l to name of displays
choose from list l
set d to result
set i to index of every display whose name is d
present movie 1 display i
end tell

Apparently it didnt work: the movie would be presented on his main screen regardless of what display he selected. Any ideas why?

thanks in advance

Nobody with a second display out there?

Did you ever figure this one out? I’m trying to do the same thing, and having the same bad luck-- it always defaults to the main screen no matter whether the number is one or two.

Any success on your end?

Thanks,
jeff

i’m seeing the exact same thing now, too, on two different machines, three different monitors.

I can state that using the Present command earlier this year had worked as expected. Due to personal circumstances, I was not able to test my code on Tiger until now. Before Tiger, this worked fine.

I don’t know if it’s an issue with QuickTime 7 or not.

I hope this helps in some way…

edit: although it looks like this post is dated in January of 2005…well before Tiger. My code (under X.3.9 or whatever was current at the time) had worked. maybe there’s a codec issue or something not-very-obvious?

I’ve not tried this, but, I will say that there is an issue with QT not remembering what display you prefer to present movie on when you set it in the preferences. Maybe QT just can’t hold that variable? just a thought

I recently added a script to Code Exchange that will map out the details of a dual screen setup called Exploring Dual Screens (which I have). Maybe it will help.

Hi,

Try changing this:

set i to index of every display whose name is d

to this:

set i to index of first display whose name is d

Maybe isn’t coercing the one item list i to integer. You may be able to do this also:

set i to index of display (d as string)

gl,